Subject: Re: USB Drive Howto
To: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/16/2003 15:22:28
On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 01:35:32PM +1000, George Michaelson wrote:
> oddly, attach/detach cycles AFTER a reboot connected USB is there are usually
> ok. I just don't get it. maybe lower level probe logic during kernel init phase
> isn't the same as usertime probe in USB.

The basic cause of the problem is well known - it comes down to memory
fragmentation, the kernel needs to allocate a contiguous chunk of
memory for the scsibus at the time its created.  On a system that has
been running a while, especially with smaller memory, sometimes it
can't find a large enough chunk to use.

--
Dan.