Subject: Re: cvs 1.11.10 will be imported
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@itojun.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/13/2003 16:22:51
> On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 07:03:28AM +0900, Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino wrote:
> >
> > 	as far as i see there's no real diff between 1.11.5 and 1.11.10 wrt
> > 	calls to zlib; i'm interested in seeing that commit message.  anyways,
>
> I'll try to dig it up.  It may not happen today.
>
> > 	if there's fix to cvs-to-zlib call in between 1.11.5 to 1.11.10,
> > 	why do i have to be blamed publically for upgrading thirdparty software?
> > 	i'm fixing bugs and get blamed.  it's not fair.
>
> As far as I can tell, you've spent more messages in this thread complaining
> about being "blamed" -- including one that had LINES OF SHOUTING in it --
> than anyone has actually spend "blaming" you, if indeed any "blame" has
> been assessed at all.  Really, nobody is out to get you; but in the real
> world, one must expect to have technical decisions questioned by others, who
> may have different opinions than oneself.

	when security issue in thirdparty software comes up, i feel responsible
	to react as quickly as i can (otherwise it would be a disservice to
	the netbsd user community as a whole, and i'm one of s-o of the
	project).  i checked the version of CVS in tree, noticed that it is
	rather old (1.11.5), and there's no specific description given in
	3RDPARTY (nor anywhere else) for keeping old version.
	so i upgraded CVS to 1.11.10, which is *minor version upgrade*
	rather than major version upgrade (like bumping to 1.12.x).
	because it is a minor version upgrade i assumed no problem in upgrade
	process, and during the test i've performed before committing i
	have experienced no problem at all.  i sent a notification to
	tech-userlevel before the change just to make sure.
	i did not expect to be flamed because of the action i took based on
	the logic above.  is my logic above damaged somewhere?

> It might help if you provided more than a couple of minutes of notice before
> committing changes like this, or at least explained why you felt that you
> could not do so, if you felt that you could not do so.  You have quite a
> history of committing changes on extremely short notice or over the
> objections of others, and many people have asked you to moderate this
> behaviour, so it should not be so surprising to you that others feel that
> you are antagonizing them when you engage in it, even if you have good
> reasons -- particularly if you don't state them.

	i'm not sure why the time i spend on netbsd project is not appreciated,
	and why i keep getting flamed instead.
	maybe because i can work quicker than anyone else.
	maybe because i'm in different timezone from other vocal netbsd
	developers (in the States).

	i will take my doctor's advice and will not commit anything to
	netbsd tree until the new year's day - it's a test, if it gives me
	better mental health state, netbsd is definitely hurting my health.

itojun