Subject: Re: Recoverable Network File System?
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Sean J.Schluntz <schluntz@workofstone.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/12/2003 13:07:40
On Dec 12, 2003, at 12:02 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:

>   Thanks for the feedback, I guess that brings me down to one question.
>   Is it possible to turn off the write cache?  I have one instance
> where
>   two mail servers may try to write to the same network mounted mail
>   spool at the same time :/  Having one hit cached could really run me
> in
>   to trouble.
>
> Not quite.   There are three fundamental states:
>
>   disconnected: read from cache only, log writes
>
>   write-disconnected: read from cache, filling from net,
> 		      log writes, trickle reintegrate writes
>
>   connected: read from cache, filling from net, synchronous writes to
> server

Got it.

> But, you might want to just run AFS, since write caching is most of
> the point of coda.

Someone else mentioned that, but I looked it up at the site and on the
NetBSD site and didn't see support for NetBSD.  Is there any support?

> Also, you mentioned alpha, and I suspect there are more 64-bit dragons
> to slay before it works there.  I use it on i386 and sparc now.

All I need it for is i386 right now, the Sparcs and Alphas don't need
access to the volume.

-Sean
---
Sean J. Schluntz
510-785-8949
Sr. Security Consultant                                        Work of
Stone