Subject: Re: is quotacheck always so ploddingly slow on big filesystems?
To: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/11/2003 21:10:53
[ On Thursday, December 11, 2003 at 13:51:50 (-0600), Greg Oster wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: is quotacheck always so ploddingly slow on big filesystems?
>
> "Greg A. Woods" writes:
> > Is quotacheck always so ploddingly slow on big filesystems?
>
> Drat.. I *knew* there was a bug/problem I'd encountered with
> quotacheck, and forgot to do something about.. :(

:-)

It's definitely just burning CPU for the fun of it:

USER    PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ   RSS TT STAT STARTED      TIME COMMAND
root  20800 95.8  0.0   408   308 p3 R     1:31PM 444:04.67 quotacheck -v /mfbd

> I'll bet you have a file, somewhere, owned by UserID "-1" (or "-2" or
> whatever).

I don't think I've encountered the same bug, though it may be related,
or some other manifestation.  At least find can't find anything on that
filesystem other than the couple of directories owned by root and the
files and single lone directory owned by my own user-id (1000).

Of course this isn't giving me any good vibes about using quotas on a
production web server hosting many thousands of personal web pages.  :-(

--
						Greg A. Woods