Subject: Re: Custom Boot CD w/o Other NetBSD Boxes
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christian Biere <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/05/2003 03:13:43

Alex Kirk wrote:
> I saw the documentation that says you can make a bootable CD with boot-bi=
> so I went to and grabbed a copy. I'd also seen notes on the
> mailing list archives stating that I should be able to, roughly:

> vnconfig -c vnd0 boot-big.fs
> mount /dev/vnd0a /mnt/somewhere

> root@dreamcast:/home/alex# vnconfig -c vnd0 boot-big.fs
> root@dreamcast:/home/alex# mount /dev/vnd0a /mnt
> mount_ffs: /dev/vnd0a on /mnt: incorrect super block

The image you've downloaded doesn't use ffs but utarfs. So there's
a tar file (starting at 14*512 bytes on the one I have) containing
a meta file and a kernel. If you use dd you can extract the tar file
and I *guess* you can modify it too. An up-to-date manpage of
installboot(8) also explains how you can create a bootfloppy with
ffs/ufs. (The one I have is from 1997 - I wonder why).

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (NetBSD)