Subject: Re: Does PPS_SYNC work ?
To: None <>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/03/2003 13:30:43 (Tatoku Ogaito) writes:

> Is there anybody who uses NetBSD as stratum 1 NTP server with GPS ?
> On my server ntptime(8) never reports status

I do, although I run 4.2.0nb1 from pkgsrc.

$ ntpq -p
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
*GPS_ONCORE(0)   .GPS.            0 l   10   16  377    0.000   -0.001   0.001    2 u   42   64  377   17.305    3.387   0.359

Since my kernel was missing the com.c stuff too, I just turned off the
kernel kcbind stuff with this in my /etc/ntp.conf .  (It took a lot of
reading the source to ndpd to even realize I could turn that off!)
# oncore-m12 sets the neg-edge at 0-second roll-over
# flag2 clock on downward edge.
# flag3 use kernel PPS (once netbsd starts working)
server prefer	# Oncore GPS driver
fudge flag2 1

Mode 1
LAT   37.550000
LON -121.940000
HT    21.8161 m
STATUS  /var/chroot/ntpd/var/log/ntpstats/ONCORE

There were a few hacks I needed to do to get the Motorola Oncore M12
to work.  (It appears every oncore type has a slightly different
incompatible command set and the stock commands think they are
initiating a site survey, but the command silently fails and the
oncore just sits there.  Using "mode 1" and putting your lat/lon/ht
into the oncore config file side-steps that whole issue.

I too would be thrilled if someone checked in hardpps patches in
kern/13702 (from Aug '2001).

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht
       The above "From:" address is valid.  Don't mess with it.