Subject: Re: Firewire (IEEE 1394) external DVD recorder
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20031122T135645@wsrcc.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/22/2003 14:07:00
lists@brianrose.net (Brian Rose) writes:
> Does anyone have any experience with external DVD writers
> (preferably ones that support DVD-RAM and DVD-R formats )? I'm
> researching a backup solution for NetBSD/Linux.

If you don't care about the -RAM but want a universal +RW -RW, the
Plextor PX708A is pretty nice under netbsd.  I get 8x writes when
doing filesystem backups from a pre-build iso file.  (There are too
many small files in places like /usr/include to be able to stream
directly from the ufs at the ~ 11MByte/sec rate needed to support 8x.)
Even with the time to write the intermediate iso file, a full 4.3gig
backup is still under 20 minutes.  That sure beats the old DDS-II tape
that only goes 500KBytes/sec.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht 		     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/
       The above "From:" address is valid.  Don't mess with it.