Subject: Re: CM8738 Cmedia PCI sound Card problem
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20031122T091940@wsrcc.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/22/2003 09:23:26
collver1@comcast.net (Ben Collver) writes:
> For the last few years all my systems had motherboards with integrated
> audio and I just used that.  From August 2002 until March 2003 I used a
> CMI8338 integrated in a cheap SiS motherboard, and had no problems.

Thanks Ben.  Maybe I'll just swap the sound card for another identical
one.

> Another option you can try is USB speakers or headphones.  That way the
> audio is sent digitally and is less susceptible to electrical noise from
> the bus.  I have a pair of hand-me-down USB speakers that work very well
> from NetBSD.  The only problem I encountered is that while playing audio
> there seems to be latency for the controls.  So if I turned the volume down
> in xmms it would not be immediate, and the delay was psychologically
> distracting.  I don't know if this is specific to my model of speakers, or
> a problem in general.

I'm not sure if that would allow me to play dvds.  If the audio delay
were too long (and unpredictable) it would be hard for mplayer
et. al. to synchronize the audio and video.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht 		     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/
       The above "From:" address is valid.  Don't mess with it.