Subject: Re: Running services without root-privileges
To: Benjamin Walkenhorst <krylon@gmx.net>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/21/2003 08:37:51
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Benjamin Walkenhorst wrote:

> Well, I did... pkgsrc is just great, I wish GNU/Linux-systems had such a
> thing by default.

They do :)

pkgsrc is made to be cross-platform. I use it on several Linux machines
for 14 months now. (In fact, my linux-kernel, glibc, everything, is in
pkgsrc.) I have also used it under BSD/OS. Others have used it with AIX,
Irix, HP-UX, Solaris, Darwin OS, Mac OS X and others. (It still needs
portability work, but it is getting better.)

Have a look at the pkgsrc webpages to see how to get started
(bootstrap-pkgsrc) under Linux.

If you have any problems, please discuss on the tech-pkg list (since it
won't be related to netbsd-users).

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/