Subject: Re: OpenSSL package license confusion
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ball <ball@cyberspace.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/21/2003 11:09:23
Hello Chris,

(From http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html#LEGAL1)

  "The patents section of the README file lists patents
   that may apply to you if you want to use OpenSSL. For
   information on intellectual property rights, please
   consult a lawyer..."

I can't find the README file that they're referring to.  All
I want to do is install Samba so that a NetBSD box can serve
up a printer to some MS Windows machines at the office.  I'm
supposed to hire a lawyer for this?!  :-(

The same Web page says...

  "You can configure OpenSSL so as not to use RC5 and
   IDEA by using ./config no-rc5 no-idea"

     ...but I just get './config: Command not found.' and in
any case I'm not sure that this would change NetBSD's
opinion of the license.

- Andy Ball