Subject: Running services without root-privileges
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Benjamin Walkenhorst <Krylon@gmx.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/21/2003 09:33:03
Hello everyone,

I recently came up with a question regarding the installation of an
SQL-server on my netbsd-machine.

I now have installed the server and am reading my way through the
documentation. PostgreSQL's administration guide recommends running postmaster as user
pgsql.
How do I make this work? Set the suid-bit of the postmaster-binary and chown
it to pgsql?

Or is there some syntax to make the system start services as non-privileged
users?
I want - of course - the SQL-server to be started automatically at
system-startup, so logging in to the netbsd-machine, su'ing to pgsql and manually
running postmaster is *not* an option... =)

Or do I put something like
"su - pgsql -c /usr/pkg/bin/postmaster"
in my startup files? This seems to lack some elegance, though...

I'm running NetBSD 1.6.1 on a i386 machine, if that's important...

Thank you very much,

Kind regards,

Benjamin Walkenhorst

--
GMX Weihnachts-Special: Seychellen-Traumreise zu gewinnen!

Rentier entlaufen. Finden Sie Rudolph! Als Belohnung winken
tolle Preise. http://www.gmx.net/de/cgi/specialmail/