Subject: Re: Keeping 1.6.1 up to date.
To: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/20/2003 23:06:51
On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 06:56:45PM -0500, Louis  Guillaume wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> A great thing happened where a colleague of mine, upset with Redhat,
> decided to look at NetBSD.
>
> The one thing that's making him hesitate now is "How do you update a
> part of the base distribution if there was, say, a security advisory on
> that item?" He wants to see an up2date-like tool.

There isn't something like this yet.
For the base system there are periodic builds from releng.netbsd.org
if you don't want to update from sources.
For pkgsrc we have tried to pull up security fixes to the last stable branch,
but there isn't enouth manpower at it. pkgsrc pullup are not always processes
in a timely manner, and there's no infrastructure really in place to
provide updated binary packages (I've been updating i386 binary packages
from time to time).

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>