Subject: Re: Setting up an SQL-server under NetBSD 1.6.1
To: None <Netbsd-Users@NetBSD.org>
From: Benjamin Walkenhorst <krylon@gmx.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/17/2003 18:19:14

On Sunday 16 November 2003 22:12, Chuck Yerkes wrote:
> Quoting Benjamin Walkenhorst (krylon@gmx.net):
>
> > So far I'm using the machine as an NFS-server, internet-gateway,
> > firewall.
>
> It's not a firewall if it's running an NFS serve and SQL server.
> It's a gateway.  That's been configured a bit.

Uh, okay. It's a gateway, then...=20
It *does* block incoming connections, however, and NFS can only be=20
accessed from my desktop machine. Same will go for SQL...
So call it what you like, as long as it keeps trouble out, I'm happy...

> > Now I would like to add an SQL-database-server. It's not like I
> > really need it, so it won't be too bad if it does not work out. On
> > the other hand, I want to become a professional
> > network-administrator, so I should know a little more about
> > databases.
> > Hence I would like to set up an SQL-server on my NetBSD-machine.
>
> So jump into pkgsrc and build mysql or Postgres.  It will take you
> a couple minutes and time to go get yourself a snack.
>
> I've run them both on BSD for years (and back to SunOS 4).

So the threads-issue I thought I heard about was a misunderstanding on=20
my side, I guess?

> > What I need to know is:
>
> > - - Some information on existing servers. Which one do I want? I
>
> One for which you have resources - people who can help you or it
> runs the tools you want.  I prefer Postgres, but I ran MySQL early
> when it was a tad basic and icky.  Coin toss if you're just starting.

Well, I plan to connect to the database from OpenOffice. MySQL or=20
Postgres does not seem to be that much of a difference.
What I rather wanted to hear was if there are any technical=20
dis-/advantages on project offers over the other.=20
But if I get you right, unless I *do* know what I want, I don't care...=20

> > understand there's basically two large projects, MySQL and
> > PostgreSQL. Is one of these to be preferred to the other one? I
> > don't care for top-performance, since there's only going to one
> > client (my desktop machine).
>
> Much might depend on your goals.  The licenses differ, etc.  If you
> have a tool in mind that's written for MySQL, you'll suffer a bit
> using Postgresql. And vice versa.

As I said, I am going to use OpenOffice for frontend. Maybe I might=20
write some small app myself in Perl or Java. ...=20
Once again, if I get you right, Postgres vs. MySQL doesn't matter to me=20
as of now.
That's alright with me, I just wanted to make sure I don't choose the=20
wrong one just to hear someone tell me "Oh my, why did you chose *that*=20
databse, it just sucks"... =3D)

> > - - I also need to know how to configure the server, create
> > databases and so on. I guess, this is covered by the database's
> > documentation, though...
>
> Um, yeah.  And a billion tutorials on line.

That's good. Again, I wanted to avoid a situation where someone tells me=20
"Why didn't you choose the databse with plenty of documentation=20
available? Idiot!"

> How much you don't know.  So put one in, get started with it, dump
> the data often.  In 6 months, reevaluate your decision.  You'll be
> miles further along.

Well, I should think so...=20
So, what I did, I installed PostgreSQL from pgksrc, next I'm gonna grab=20
a tutorial.
Fortunately, I do have a tutorial handy to set up OpenOffice.org to use=20
an SQL as data source.

Thank you very much,

Benjamin

- --=20