Subject: Re: IDE controllers (on Alpha)
To: Arto Huusko <armihu@utu.fi>
From: Juha Hyttinen <jthyttin@lce.hut.fi>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/15/2003 18:28:35
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Arto Huusko wrote:

> I haven't looked around too much yet, but currently I have found
> two options: Promise U100TX2 and Maxtor U133.
>
> First, the Maxtor uses Promise's PDC20269 chip which seems to be
> supported, but will NetBSD recognize the card out of the box?

I've used a Maxtor card since 1.6F on i386, if not even longer. I remember
this, since I sent a private email to Manuel Bouyer in response to:

	http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2002/08/20/0001.html

We are probably talking about same hardware (guess you are located in
Finland, too). I did a visual check (don't know of a more clever way,
since pcictl let me down), and my card is using PDC20269.

If you want to know if the card is supported in 1.6.1, drop me a line so I
can try to boot 1.6.1 installation CD (it's in my home firewall/server,
but a boot is coming soon in form of an upgrade, since this desktop
is running 1.6ZF flawlessly).

--
Juha Hyttinen
LCE sysadmin group