Subject: IDE controllers (on Alpha)
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Arto Huusko <armihu@utu.fi>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/14/2003 12:41:47
Hi all,

I'm going to buy an IDE controller to AlphaStation 500, and I'm
wondering which controller would be a good one.

I haven't looked around too much yet, but currently I have found
two options: Promise U100TX2 and Maxtor U133.

First, the Maxtor uses Promise's PDC20269 chip which seems to be
supported, but will NetBSD recognize the card out of the box?

Second, is it sensible to buy U133 to an Alpha@266MHz? Or is
the system faster than the disk in any case?

Third, is the AlphaStation going to be able to boot from IDE
(with the latest SRM)? This won't be a problem, though,
because I have a spare small SCSI disk I can use for booting.

  Thanks, Arto (Please CC, I'm not on the list)