Subject: Re: BasiliskII floppy dev
To: George E Sollish <gsollish@autogear.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/12/2003 22:44:38
On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, George E Sollish wrote:

: I'm trying to run some ancient Mac stuff with BasiliskII-1.0 on an i386
: running 1.6.1.  Everything installs ok, BasiliskII loads and runs (MacOS
: 7.something), but doesn't detect the floppy (/dev/fd0a, mod 666).  I've
: tried adding "floppy /dev/fd0a" to the Basilisk prefs in my home, but no
: luck.  Can anyone tell me the magic to get the floppy seen?  Thanks.

Hm.  It's been a while since I fiddled with floppy support.  Well, first
off, by "ancient" it better not be double density (non-HD) disks, as those
are not readable by any standard PC floppy controller[*].

At worst, if they are high density floppies, you can get image files from
them quite easily with a command such as the following:

  $ dd if=/dev/rfd0a of=diskimage.hfv bs=512 count=2880

The resultant image should be mountable in BasiliskII just like any other
"floppy" option.

=====

[*] Except the Catweasel ISA/PCI multi-format floppy controller, which is
    not supported directly by BasiliskII.  I have a Catweasel ISA, but I
    never quite got around to porting the Linux device driver.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>