Subject: Problem logging in when in more than 16 groups
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Vincent Driessen <vincent@datafox.nl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/11/2003 00:34:50
--IiVenqGWf+H9Y6IX

Hi all,

Today, I added my username to my 17th group on my NetBSD (1.6.1_RC3)
machine. But when I logged out and tried to log in again, it failed.
Through ssh, I couldn't get a grip on the error message, but when I
tried to su to it from root, I got this:

turkish#> su nvie
Nov 11 00:27:40 turkish su: initgroups(nvie,1000): Invalid argument
Nov 11 00:27:40 turkish su: initgroups(nvie,1000): Invalid argument
su: setting user context: Invalid argument

All of this seemed to happen only when I'm in more than 16 groups. (16
still goes fine.) The problem not only arises with the username 'nvie',
but also with other users that I try to put in 17+ groups.

Is this a known problem with NetBSD 1.6? I'm asking since a friend of
mine that uses -current does not have the problem.

Thanks in advance,

Vincent
--
"I mean, if 10 years from now, when you are doing something quick and
dirty, you suddenly visualize that I am looking over your shoulders and

--IiVenqGWf+H9Y6IX

--IiVenqGWf+H9Y6IX--