Subject: Re: Problems with audio* tools
To: None <beaker@myrealbox.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/29/2003 13:38:13
On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 beaker@myrealbox.com wrote:

> I'm unable to figure out how to get audio output from my CDROM
> drive to the default audio device /dev/sound0. I _can_ get sound
> out of the headphone jacks on the CDROM drive but I'd rather not
> have a cable hanging off the drive's tray (this is a TOSHIBA,
> XM-4101TASUNSLCD on a Sparc 5).
>
> I've tried the following so far:
> (NetBSD-1.6.1/sparc; GENERIC kernel)
>
> % audioctl -w play=44100,2,16,slinear_le
> % cdplay play 1 | /dev/sound	# "Permission denied" error
> % cdplay play 1 | /dev/audio	# "Permission denied" error
> % cdplay play 1 | audioplay -f -c 2 -P 16 -s 44100 -e slinear_le -p line -
> 	# no error but no sound either
> % cdplay play 1 | audioplay -f -c 2 -P 16 -s 44100 -e slinear_le -p line -d /dev/audio -
> 	# no error, no sound

First of all, the cdplayer has to have the cable running from the
audio port, on the back, to the appropriate spot on the motherboard
or sound card, or there's no hope. Assuming it's cabled correctly,
the next stop, after "cdplay play", is the mixer chip...

"mixerctl -a" will tell you the knobs available on your mixer. You may
need to turn the mute off, with "mixerctl -w inputs.cd.mute=off", or
you may need to turn the volume up, with "mixerctl -w inputs.cd=255".

Actually, you can listen to audio, even without the cable, using the
"mplayer" front-end to "cdparanoia", but the straightforward way is to
run the cable to the motherboard.

Frederick