Subject: Re: Problem with CR/LF Printing Text to HP LaserJet--Progress
To: None <skidmore@macconnection.net>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/21/2003 23:00:53
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 skidmore@macconnection.net wrote:

> On Tuesday, October 21 2003 at 21:57 PM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> > > lp|local line printer:\
> > >         :sh:\
> > >         :if=/usr/libexec/filters/hpif:
> > >         :rm=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:rp=lj:sd=/var/spool/lpd:\
>
> OK, I removed both references to lp, although probably only the first needed
> to be removed, but I am receiving the same error message:
>
> lpd[xxxx]: /dev/lp: no such file or directory

Fun. It shouldn't try to talk to your local printer when you define it to
use a remote printer. Ummm.. Unless this error actually is propagated from
the remote machine. Do you have a /dev/lp on that machine?

> > cd /dev
> > /MAKEDEV lpt
>
> This also gives an 'unknown device' error.  I have looked at the MAKEDEV
> script, and there are no printer definitions listed.  Below is the top
> portion of the script.

Hmm. Sorry, short circuit here. That was for i386. I don't remember what
architecture you were running. Was it mac?

> I am trying to print by entering the command 'lp <filename>'

That part seems to work. It's lpd that is giving you errors.

> > Fun. I have a PDP-11/70 running RSX-11M-PLUS online 24/7 nearby. You can
> > telnet to magica.update.uu.se and login with guest/guest if you like.
>
> Thanks for the invite.  I will log in later.  I can't telnet from RT-11
> but will from my MicroVAX 3100-40 running Open VMS.

Hmm. You know that there is a free tcp/ip implementation for RT-11?

	Johnny