Subject: Re: Problem with CR/LF Printing Text to HP LaserJet--Progress
To: None <skidmore@macconnection.net>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/21/2003 21:57:28
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 skidmore@macconnection.net wrote:

> Yes, I will install magicfilter, but first I want to solve the missing
> /dev/lp issue (please see below).

Okay.

> > Hmm. Did you also leave out the newline at the end perhaps?
> I did forget the ending newline.  Here is the complete printcap entry:

:-)

> lp|local line printer:\
>         :sh:\
>         :if=/usr/libexec/filters/hpif:
>         :lp:rm=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:rp=lj:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>                   ^^^^^^
>                printer ip here

Okay. First of all, you really don't need the lp attribute in there unless
my memory is wrong. It's just confusing and wrong. rm and rp says all you
need. If you look at the manpage for printcap you'll see the problem. lp
defaults to /dev/lp

> > No. /dev/lp is the physical device that the printer is expected to be
> > on. It is either named in /etc/printcap (lp), or if not specified if might
> > default to /dev/lp.
> > If you don't know how devices work in Unix we might take that part next...
> >
> I'm afreaid you are correct about my lack of knowledge about how devices work
> in Unix.    I have looked at the man page on MAKEDEV, and am wondering if I
> could just do a 'MAKEDEV all' from withing the /dev directory.  I naively
> tried 'MAKEDEV lp', but got an unknown device error.

/dev/MAKEDEV is a script, so you can look in it for information.

For your current need, you should just do this:

cd /dev
/MAKEDEV lpt

> ----
>
> On another subject, I noticed a reference to pdp in your tag line.  I
> recently acquired a pdp-11/23+ with RT-11, and am having great fun with it.

Fun. I have a PDP-11/70 running RSX-11M-PLUS online 24/7 nearby. You can
telnet to magica.update.uu.se and login with guest/guest if you like.

	Johnny