Subject: Re: Problem with CR/LF Printing Text to HP LaserJet--Progress
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
From: None <skidmore@macconnection.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/21/2003 19:35:18
On Tuesday, October 21 2003 at 21:00 PM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 skidmore@macconnection.net wrote:
>
> > As a reminder, I am using NetBSD 1.6.1 on a mac68k, and am having problems
> > getting stair-stepped output when I print text to a remote HP LaserJet.
> >
> Install magicfilter from the pkgsrc, and proceed from there.

Jonny

Yes, I will install magicfilter, but first I want to solve the missing
/dev/lp issue (please see below).

> > The first thing I learned looking at the Man page for lpd, is that you must
> > use the -r option when starting the daemon if you want it to process
> > 'if' or 'of' filters, otherwise they are ignored.
>
> No, they are ignored for remote printers unless you have -r. Local
> printers always use if and of.

Yes, that's what I meant to say.

> Hmm. Did you also leave out the newline at the end perhaps?
I did forget the ending newline.  Here is the complete printcap entry:

lp|local line printer:\
        :sh:\
        :if=/usr/libexec/filters/hpif:
        :lp:rm=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:rp=lj:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
                  ^^^^^^
               printer ip here

> > Do I need to create a file named 'lp' in /dev that points to /usr/bin/lp?
> > If so, I have not found documentation of how to do that.
>
> No. /dev/lp is the physical device that the printer is expected to be
> on. It is either named in /etc/printcap (lp), or if not specified if might
> default to /dev/lp.
> If you don't know how devices work in Unix we might take that part next...

I'm afreaid you are correct about my lack of knowledge about how devices work
in Unix.    I have looked at the man page on MAKEDEV, and am wondering if I
could just do a 'MAKEDEV all' from withing the /dev directory.  I naively
tried 'MAKEDEV lp', but got an unknown device error.

----

On another subject, I noticed a reference to pdp in your tag line.  I
recently acquired a pdp-11/23+ with RT-11, and am having great fun with it.

Hope to hear back from you,
Barry