Subject: Re: Problem with CR/LF Printing Text to HP LaserJet--Progress
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <skidmore@macconnection.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/21/2003 18:23:15
As a reminder, I am using NetBSD 1.6.1 on a mac68k, and am having problems
getting stair-stepped output when I print text to a remote HP LaserJet.

I have been looking at the mailing list archives, and have made some progress,
but still would like assistance.

The first thing I learned looking at the Man page for lpd, is that you must
use the -r option when starting the daemon if you want it to process
'if' or 'of' filters, otherwise they are ignored.

The second thing I learned is that putting a trailing '\' after the
'if' statement in printcap causes it to be ignored:

        :if=/usr/libexec/filters/hpif:\
                                      ^
        This gives stair-stepped printing, just like leaving the 'if'
        statement out.

However, when I leave the '\' out, I am completely unable to print, and
get an error message.

        :if=/usr/libexec/filters/hpif:

        This results in _no_ output, and the following error:
        'lpd[1374]: /dev/lp: No such file or directory'

The 'hpif' filter I am using is very simple, and was found in the archives:

#!/bin/sh
#
# hpif
#
# Installed in /usr/libexec/filters/hpif
#
# Treat LF as CR+LF:
#
printf "\033&k2G" || exit 2
#

Do I need to create a file named 'lp' in /dev that points to /usr/bin/lp?
If so, I have not found documentation of how to do that.

Thanks,
Barry