Subject: Re: Problems With CR/LF Printing to HP LaserJet
To: David S. <davids@idiom.com>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/21/2003 15:04:53
    Date:        Mon, 20 Oct 2003 22:15:56 -0700
    From:        "David S." <davids@idiom.com>

  | > lp|local line printer:\
  | >         :sh:\
  | >         :if=/usr/pkg/libexec/if-psprint:\
  | >         :lp:rm=ip.address.here:rp=lj:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:
  | > #

  | You probably want something like
  |
  | 	lp|local line printer:\
  | 		:lp=/dev/lpt0:\

He almost certainly doesn't - from the descriptions, it is obvious
that output is getting correctly sent to the printer, so given the
rm= in the original printcap, the printer is obviously a local network
connected printed (the "local" is probably just a hangover...) and
not connected to a parallel port.

The problem is likely to be that original LPD (which NetBSD retains)
doesn't allow filters (certainly not input filters) when the printer
is remote - filtering is assumed to all happen on the system with the
printer connected.

That was OK when there was a remote system with the printer connected,
but these days when it is the printer itself, and it has no means to
run, let alone define, filters, this system starts to fall down.

The usual method to work around this is to have a dummy printer entry
that has a filter, and just requeues the output to the real printer over
the net (and then use the dummy entry - ie: it would be "lp" and the
one aimed at the remote printer would be "nethp" or something).

Barry, if you search the archives you'll see this has been discussed before,
and there will be better info on just what to do (I've never needed to
do it, so I can't provide a recipe that I am confident will work).

Or someone else might reply...

  | See
  | 	http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-print.html

This is reasonable advice, but unfortunately, nothing other than the
very last point (#4 under 7.5) is really relevant - and all that does is
says what won't work, not how to work around it.

Other possibilities are to install one of the more advanced/complex/bug-ridden
printer environments from pkgsrc (cups and lprng are two I believe are there).

kre