Subject: My builds just stop
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Lloyd Parkes <lloyd@must-have-coffee.gen.nz>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/20/2003 15:37:30
I have NetBSD 1.6.1_STABLE running on a Sun Ultra 10 (i.e. it is
NetBSD/sparc64). A have been trying to build -current for a while now,
and because of the age of my machine, these can take a significant
part of 24 hours.

My problem is that if I have a build running at 00:01:53 (almost two
minutes past midnight), it gets killed. I run a command like

	./build.sh -r -U release > build.release.log 2>&1 &

The log file is always cut off part way through a kernel build with no
error messages. There will be a series of lines generated by make as
it tells me that it is compiling this, that and the otehr thing, and
then EOF.

Because of the complete lack of error messages in the log file, I
started to wonder if there was some external influence at work. I
checked the date stamp on the log file and it said (roughly) two
minutes after midnight. I set the build going again with the command

	./build.sh -r -U release > build.release.log 2>&1 ; date

This time I didn't close the PuTTY session to my server. The next
morning, the date command had printed out the 00:01:53 time and my
build was similarly cut short.

Has anyone seen this sort of behaviour before? I am not running
anything in cron, and root is only running newsyslog at midnight. This
is starting to drive me nuts. Maybe I'll have to ktrace the top level
make and see if I can find out why it's terminating.

Cheers,
Lloyd