Subject: How to manage a raidcontroler (GDT) with NetBSD?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Oliver Egginger <Oliver.Egginger@dvz.fh-giessen.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/17/2003 13:11:56
Hello,

we've got a working installation of NetBSD 1.6.1 with the GDT8114RZ raid
controler (IPC-Vortex). The controler works perfectly with NetBSD 1.6
but the management software (namely icpcon-2.14.3) breaks with the
message:
	Error: Initialization failed ! (Device driver not loaded ?)

This software is written for FreeBSD. Maybe FreeBSD uses another driver
type. Knows someone more? Are there someone who uses GDT raid
controlers?

When I try to install the driver pakage for FreeBSD
(pkg_add iir-1.3.tgz) I get this:

pkg_add: Unrecognised PLIST command `@srcdir
/vob/vob/ut_freebsd/freebsd_cd/utils/'

Also the NetBSD driver seems to work pretty good. In the actual fact
I'am not happy to install another driver. Modstat gives no output, so I
would suppose that the driver is build into the Kernel (gerneric).
The iir-1.3.tgz README says (among other things):

... generates /dev/iir (Special device file for Tools, e.g.: ICPCON)

Maybe I only have to create this device file and connect it with the
NEtBSD driver. But how could I do that?

I need a regular information about hard disk failures and some other
status reports. I'am new to NetBSD. Under Linux all harware information
lives under /proc. Is there something similiar in NetBSD?
How do you control your raid controlers?

Every hint would be highly appreciated.

regards
oliver