Subject: No kernel built when building from source. Path problem?
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Alex <AlexSorg@gmx.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/15/2003 10:34:09
Hello All,

For quite a time now I'm trying to build netbsd-current, and now I think it
worked out, except
that the kernel did not build. Also I'm somewhat confused by the paths and
the overall nomenclature.

The problem might be, that /usr/src is a symlink to /storage/usr on another
disk, because the one where /usr resides is too small. Can that be a problem?

After entering "./build.sh -O /usr/src/obj -D /storage/NetBSD_current -T
/usr/src/tools build"
which completed successfully, I assume I have a complete userland in
/storage/NetBSD_current, which
can only be installed, after building a kernel from the same source. So I
did
"./build.sh -O /usr/src/obj -D /storage/NetBSD_current -T /usr/src/tools
kernel=GENERIC", which also
gave no error, but where is the kernel? I can find (1) nothing there. Though
there are kernels from an
earlier build.

Also, can somebody please explain me, what these lines exactly mean?
install ===> sys/ufs/ufs
What does the arrow mean?

postinstall checks passed: postinstall defaults mtree gid uid periodic rc
ssh wscons makedev postfix
postinstall checks failed:

So the build finished successfully, and built the above mentioned objects?

Thanks for any answers in advance. I'm trying to learn.

Kind regards,

Alex.