Subject: Re: Trouble cvs'ing security patch. ( Solved )
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Ian Thomas <ipthomas@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/12/2003 13:53:29

On Sunday, October 12, 2003, at 01:30  PM, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, Ian Thomas wrote:
>
>> 	I'm running the following command to update my sources,
>>
>> cd /usr/src
>> cvs update -P -rnetbsd-1-6 sys/kern/kern_sysctl.c
>>
>> 	I get the following error message in return
>>
>> cvs [server aborted]: no such directory `sys/kern'
>> ssh: zathras.local: No address associated with hostname
>> cvs [update aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages
>> if any)
>>
>> 	I'm leaving off the "-d" flag because I've set the $CVSROOT variable
>> already.
>
> Nonetheless, you should use "cvs update -Pd". That "-d" is different
> than the "-d"  *before* "update". For general use, you can do
>
>    echo update -P -d >> ~/.cvsrc
>
> and never have to worry about specifying either "-P" or "-d". As a
> matter of fact, for an update, ${CVSROOT} is unnecessary and unused,
> as it's overruled by the contents of "CVS/Root". ${CVSROOT} is mainly
> only useful for checkout and import.
>
>> Without specifying a BRANCH, won't I get current sources?
>
> No, you'll get the last tag or branch you pulled. When you want the
> head, use "cvs update -A".
<snip>

	That sorted me out.  The two -d options had me confused.  My tag has
'Tnetbsd-1-6'
and CVS/Root is 'anoncvs@anoncvs.NetBSD.org:/cvsroot', so I should be
all set doing,

	cd
	echo update -P -d >> ~/.cvsrc
	cd /usr/src
	cvs update sys/kern/kern_sysctl.c

If you have any idea where the error regarding 'zathras.local' came
from I'd
be interested to hear it.  It isn't my hostname, or the one of the CVS
server I'm
connecting to.  Appreciate the quick response and helpful summary.

Ian P. Thomas

Power is not a means, it is an end.

- - George Orwell '1984' -