Subject: Re: Trouble cvs'ing security patch.
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Soren Jacobsen <snj@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/12/2003 10:23:05
On 10/12 12:41, Ian Thomas wrote:
> 	I'm running the following command to update my sources,
>
> cd /usr/src
> cvs update -P -rnetbsd-1-6 sys/kern/kern_sysctl.c
>
> 	I get the following error message in return
>
> cvs [server aborted]: no such directory `sys/kern'
> ssh: zathras.local: No address associated with hostname
> cvs [update aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages
> if any)
>
> 	I'm leaving off the "-d" flag because I've set the $CVSROOT variable
> already.

cvs(1) has this to say:

CVS/Root
       Pathname to the repository ( CVSROOT ) location at the  time  of
       checkout.   This file is used instead of the CVSROOT environment
       variable if the environment variable is not set.  A warning mes-
       sage  will be issued when the contents of this file and the CVS-
       ROOT environment variable differ.  The file may  be  over-ridden
       by  the presence of the CVS_IGNORE_REMOTE_ROOT environment vari-
       able.

> 	If I run a similar command without specifying the release BRANCH,
>
> cvs update -P -r sys/kern/kern_sysctl.c
>
> 	things work.  Without specifying a BRANCH, won't I get current
> 	sources?

That depends on what's in CVS/Tag.