Subject: Re: Boot-up Splash Screen
To: Ian McIntosh <ianm@cat.co.za>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/06/2003 13:17:57
"Ian McIntosh" <ianm@cat.co.za> writes:
> I am looking for a way to put some form of splash up when a netbsd
> 1.6.1 box boots up. Really what I am trying to do is hide the kernel
> messages when booting. The splash screen can then dissappear when
> KDE starts.
>
> One solution is to comment out all the kernel printouts and then
> re-compile it, but I would rather have a solution where the screen
> is displayed and the print-outs happen in the background.
>
> Any ideas on how to do this is much appreciated.

On a machine running with wscons and multiple virtual terminals, you
could conceivably switch to an alternative vt inside the kernel quite
early in main() while the kernel keeps printing to another vt.

You might also be able to hack the wscons stuff to let you paint a
splash screen that is compiled into the kernel.

If you manage to do such a thing, the patches might be neat to see...

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com