Subject: Re: On sensors and burning up the CPU CHIP
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20030930T060602@wsrcc.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/30/2003 06:14:33
deichert@wrench.com (Diana Eichert) writes:
> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Todd Gruhn wrote:
>
>> I got the kernel working with APC. Got daemon code
>> implemented properly. Built rc.d script.
>> Anyone want to suggest how I can further secure this
>> daemon? How I can speed it up?
>
> Hello
>
> I'm not sure what type / speed CPU you have here but if it happens to be
> an AMD Athlon CPU when the fan fails the CPU can overheat and destroy
> the system before any software can react.
>
> http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20010917/

I don't think you will see this happen when the fan fails, only when
the heatsink gets pulled off.  The thermal mass of the heatsink is
high enough that the athlon will only rise a few tens of degrees C per
minute.  To set my thermal pad and lower it's thermal resistance I
stopped my CPU fan while the CPU was running.  The temperature climbed
slowly and when it was approaching the maximum limit I let the fan
start turning again.  That heat-up phase took 2-3 minutes.  (In theory
the thermal pad should have softened up at this temperature and been
pressed thinner making for a better interface.  In practice I didn't
seem to make much of a difference. ;-))

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht 		     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/
           The From: address is valid.  Don't mess with it.