Subject: Re: when will there be 2.0?
To: Jean-Luc Wasmer <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/27/2003 12:37:05
"Jean-Luc Wasmer" <netbsd-users@netbsd.org> writes:
> You can answer without a date: what's left to do for 2.0 to be "ready"?

Roughly, the list is update the gcc and gdb on the platforms missing
it, fix the siginfo stuff for all platforms currently missing it,
stabilize pthreads on all platforms. We also would like to have Luke's
new x11 crossbuild infrastructure done so that we'll be in a position
to crossbuild everything, even X. Not being able to crossbuild X was a
serious slowdown in our last release cycle.

(Sadly, updating to gcc 3.3.1 and cross building X for all platforms
will dramatically slow our automated cross build machine -- we could
use pointers to someone who could donate a bunch of high speed, small
form factor hardware. No, we can't use your five year old 5U box for
this -- we don't have rack space and we need modern hardware.)

Of course, on top of that, there's always lots of documentation that
needs updating, cleanup of sysinst, etc. -- people should test
-current snapshots on their platform frequently (including the
installation stuff) if they want to see the release cycle happen fast
when it happens.

By the way, the user community can always be of great help with all of
this. Everyone working on NetBSD is a volunteer, and we are happy to
accept contributions from people who don't have commit
access. (Indeed, lots of good contributions are how people get commit
access...)

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com