Subject: Re: can't get dhclient to start during boot
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: henry nelson <netb@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/27/2003 11:47:00
On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 10:39:58PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 09:47:08AM +0900, henry nelson wrote:
> > I replaced /sbin/dhclient with the latest from ISC, but now it fails to
> > start up during boot.  It dies with the message: '/sbin/dhclient: 1:
> > Syntax error: "(" unexpected'.  Works fine from the command line after
[...]
> Maybe it's started before /usr is mounted, and so needs to be statically
> linked ?

I promised a final report on my solution.  For me it was easiest to add
"-static" to "LIBS" in "Makefile.conf", i.e., link all of the binaries
statically.  The size of your binaries will increase to about 150%, but
in exchange everything will "just work."  If you really want dynamic
linking, David gave you the way in a post yesterday in the same thread.

henry