Subject: Re: '-u' behavior problematic with new installs
To: Greg Troxel <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/25/2003 14:12:08
[ On Thursday, September 25, 2003 at 11:36:44 (-0400), Greg Troxel wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: '-u' behavior problematic with new installs
> > From: Frederick Bruckman <>
> > Current's now supports installing to a destdir in one step,
> > then unconditionally installing the contents of the destdir to the
> > directory of your choice (e.g. "/") in the next. That's the solution
> > to the problem you encountered.
> I do use this on -current, but that feature doesn't work so well on
> 1.6....

I've made some minor fixes to the netbsd-1-6 tree such that I can run
"nbmake-${MACHINE} install" a second time to a new $DESTDIR (even a new
empty $DESTDIR if I also add a couple of more steps).  Currently I do
this so that I can create two "identical" releases, one with stripped
binaries, and one without.  I haven't actually tried the install to
DESTDIR=/, (I always unpack the sets instead) but I don't see why it
wouldn't work.

(the problems I've hacked around are really bugs in the makefiles that
are hidden by the current build -- I'm hoping I can find the proper
fixes some day soon and send-pr them)

						Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                  VE3TCP            RoboHack <>
Planix, Inc. <>          Secrets of the Weird <>