Subject: Re: '-u' behavior problematic with new installs
To: Greg Troxel <>
From: David Laight <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/25/2003 16:36:04
On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 10:54:03AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> David Laight <> writes:
> > 4) stale .depend files ?
> I'm pretty sure this is not the case - the build was from
> freshly-checked out source and an empty /usr/obj.
> The problem was that /usr/include/net/pfkeyv2.h was not installed, not
> that anything wasn't built.

I realised that just after I'd sent the previous comment :-(
Actually you need to build with DESTDIR != / and then copy everything
that got built from DESTDIR to /.  I use a rather nasty shell script
that parses METALOG to find out what has been built recently.

> Reflecting on all the comments, I favor changing the conditional
> install to install if timestamps differ or if content differs.
> But, it isn't clear that this is worth the effort.

Does it even work?  IIRC install strips binaries.

David Laight: