Subject: Re: Building current doing cross-compile?
To: Alex <AlexSorg@gmx.de>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/25/2003 08:24:12
On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Alex wrote:

> while making progress compiling the tools to be finally able to build
> current' I detect, that the build
> process seems to make a cross-compilation. I've seen the line
>    Links are now set up to build a cross-compiler for i386--netbsdelf
>      from i386-unknown-netbsdelf1.6.1..

Yes, that's correct. All build.sh builds are "cross" builds, even
the native ones! This is your assurance that NetBSD 1.6ZC/i386 is
1.6ZC/i386, no matter if it was build on NetBSD 1.6.1, last weeks
current, or a different platform entirely.

In your case, you really do need a cross compiler, as 1.6.1/i386 is
a different platform than 1.6ZC/i386. Your 1.6.1/i386 binaries will
run under 1.6ZC by virtue of the great care NetBSD takes with respect
to backwards compatibility, but the 1.6ZC binaries you create won't
generally run correctly under 1.6.1, if they run at all.

Frederick