Subject: Re: when will there be 2.0?
To: Emre Yildirim <ey@ieee.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/25/2003 02:16:55
On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 02:12:13AM -0500, Emre Yildirim wrote:
> I think it would be great if NetBSD had shorter release cycles like FreeBSD or
> OpenBSD, but keep in mind that this is still a volunteer project, and NetBSD has so
> many more architectures to worry about.
>
> It's worth the wait.  There is no need to rush things if your current installation
> is doing the job it's supposed to do (in my case anyway).
>
> Take care!
>

> Once upon a time Richard Rauch proclaimed:
> > Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2003/09/25/0003.html
> >
> > When will 2.0 be out, you ask?
> >
> > When it's out.
> >
> > I know that that doesn't help much.  (^&
 [...]

Note that he was asking when it would be out.

I took that to mean that he wanted a schedule, which I am doubtful can
be done for any reasonably complex project with lots of activity.

...not if quality is a top priority, anyway.  If you're willing to
forego some quality, security, etc., you can plan a release and then make
it.  (^&

As with anything in life, I think that it's a matter of priorities, and
I'm pretty happy with the NetBSD priorities.