Subject: Re: when will there be 2.0?
To: Zhang Weiwu <weiwuzhang@hotmail.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/25/2003 01:44:48
Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2003/09/25/0003.html

When will 2.0 be out, you ask?

When it's out.

I know that that doesn't help much.  (^&

My understanding is that NetBSD releases are made when the software is
ready, not to some rigid external schedule.  This is bad for marketing,
but then...NetBSD isn't a commercial product.  And it's good for making
each release *right*.

Who cares that you can predict a product's release months in advance,
if it has problems that force you to wait an unknown period for a
patch release?

If you just want to play with the latest and greatest *features*, then
you can try running -current.  If you want all of the stability that
a NetBSD *release* has, then there's no telling (so far as I know)
when that will happen.  It'll be released when the software is in
shape to be released.