Subject: Re: I'm getting insane ... about Xfree and ttf's
To: Stefan Sonnenberg-Carstens <s.sonnenberg@coolspot.de>
From: Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/21/2003 20:43:28
On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 10:08:57AM +0200, Stefan Sonnenberg-Carstens wrote:
> Hi list,
> yesterday I reinstalled NetBSD 1.6.1 onto my main
> mashine.
> Because it has a NVidia GeForce Ti4200 inside,
> I installed the XFree 4.3.0 binarie release from xfree86.org for
> NetBSD 1.6.x.
> But I can't get the TrueType stuff to work.
> I have attached my XF86Config file I use.
> I tried them all : xfstt-1.4,fc-cache etc. but ttf's always look weired (if
> they look).
>
> Am I completely wrong ?

I found nothing wrong with your config file. Can you give some
screenshots of your desktop on the web?

Or this might help:

FreeType shipped with XFree86 4.3.0 is quite poor in rendering quality.
Also, Luxi TrueType fonts in 4.3.0 looks quite ugly if rendered with the
in-stock FreeType. You can get fancy-looking fonts by installing
fonts/vera-ttf and graphics/freetype2 from pkgsrc. Note that after you
have installed freetype2, you should replace libfreetype* in /usr/X11R6/lib
with the equivalents in /usr/pkg/lib (via symlinks, or copying).

Jun-Young

--
Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@NetBSD.org>