Subject: updating packages regularly
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/17/2003 15:39:40
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to figure out a way to update my packages on a regular basis
from pkgsrc if needed (perhaps even within a scheduled process).

Currently, it seems that a "make update" in a package causes all
dependant and depending packages to be rebuilt, even if the same version
is already installed. I understand why this is good for the dependant
packages, but can this behaviour be changed for dependancies that have
not changed version? It doesn't seem necessary to reinstall these.

Is there a way to query which packages are out of date at any given
point in relation to what is in pkgsrc?

Please let me know if there is a way to do a "make current" of all
installed packages. If there isn't, I'll develop a script to take care
of it - but I don't want to re-invent the wheel.

Thanks,

Louis