Subject: LFS + NFS == slow?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Jones <chris@cjones.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/17/2003 12:33:13
I have a NetBSD 1.6.1/i386 box with /usr on LFS, and / on FFS with
softdep.  When I mount the LFS filesystem on a nearby linux box, I see
terrible performance; but when I mount the FFS filesystem, it works as I
expect.

I did a test by copying the linux box's local /usr/X11R6/lib over to the
NetBSD box using tar.  On the LFS fs, it copied all those little font
files at about 3-4 per second.  At the same time, nfsd on the NetBSD box
was using about 90% CPU.

By contrast, copying those files to the FFS fs just flies by, and it
doesn't seem to stress the CPU.

Is LFS not ready to be used in combination with NFS?  I'd really like to
use it on my fileserver, because I hate waiting 5 minutes for it to run
fsck; but this performance is really bad.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Chris

--
Chris Jones               chris@cjones.org                www.cjones.org