Subject: Re: restarting chrooted named from remote
To: Christoph Kaegi <>
From: Tim Bandy <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/17/2003 10:49:47
    Christoph>  On 16.09-14:24, Tim Bandy wrote:
    Christoph> I want to restart named9, running on a NetBSD-1.6.1
    Christoph> machine by doing:
    Christoph> # ssh remote.machine "/etc/rc.d/named9 restart"
    Christoph> This basically works but the problem is, the ssh
    Christoph> session never returns.
    Christoph> Does anyone have an idea, why this could be?
    Christoph> A wild guess would be, that the session looses its pty
    Christoph> and that ssh wouldn't like that. But I also tried ssh
    Christoph> -T, with same results.
    >>  I think that this answers your question.
    Christoph>  Thanks for the hint.
    Christoph> It makes sense for ssh to wait until background jobs
    Christoph> are finished. But, named detaches from the terminal and
    Christoph> runs as a daemon. I wouldn't consider this a background
    Christoph> process.

Actually, I think that is the
appropriate faq.  My bad.  Hopefully you found that.

Now, in light of that, I completely agree with you.  In fact, I just
logged into one of my boxen and killed cron, then did this:

% ssh root@host /usr/sbin/cron

Of course, it returned as soon as it had finished starting cron, and
exited as it should.  So perhaps it's something with bind9 or
/etc/rc.d/named9, neither of which I have on my netbsd box.  BTW, I
did set up bind8, and was able to duplicate my results with cron using
/usr/sbin/named.  What are the contents of /etc/rc.d/named9?  Can you
run bind9 by itself and have ssh exit as it should without using

Tim Bandy (tim at timn8r dot org)

An age is called Dark not because the light fails to shine, but because
people refuse to see it.
                -- James Michener, "Space"