Subject: Re: Obfuscation
To: None <>
From: Chuck Yerkes <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/15/2003 00:40:27
Quoting Richard Rauch (
>  [...]
> > >    are bright enough to construct "containment" email accounts if they so
> > >    desire (as you have done).
> >
> > Containment accounts are a blunt weapon. If you close one, people who
> > only know the containment address cannot contact you in future. Does
> > that not dissuade replies?
> I don't think so.  I can cut-and-paste a "containment" email address from
>'s web-interface.  I might not notice, and certainly
> won't care that the address is just for that list.

Any yet, spambot's don't usually "cut and paste" - they harvest

And if mail comes to the address, it's foldered.  If it's not from
the actual LIST, it's foldered elsewhere.

You might guess when this address will stop working.

*My* favorite are the bots that grab and use nbsd@TheAboveDomain
and leave off the meaty part.

Me?  I want to see hard jail time for a spammer or 50.  The
faux "free speech" issues aside, breaking into computers or
illegally relaying is clearly theft of service.  Using a false
address as a return address causes measurable damage to the
owner of that address.