Subject: On sensors and Burning up the CPU CHIP.
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Gruhn <tgruhn2@mail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/11/2003 21:50:29
I did some feeling around in my computer and found a large warm
spot. I wish to add another fan with detector. How do I know that
fan also has an lm78-type chip short of plugging it in and finding
out?

Checkout http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/
I know its LINUX, but could NetBSD make use of this detector
software by porting it, and merging the I2C stuff with the
source tree? This should allow all sorts of detection possibilities...

I wrote a perl daemon to monitor the fan and CPU temp, and shutdown
system if chip gets too hot or fan dies. But, I can't shut power off!
Is there a trick to this (shutdown -p only halts system); what about
shutdown -h | poweroff ? How do I know my system can even do this?
If the CPU is sitting there halted with no fan (at 3am) for 4hrs
will it still burn up?

Todd

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://corp.mail.com/careers