Subject: Re: USB stick ?
To: Frank Luedke <netbsd@desiato.de>
From: Scott Ellis <scotte@warped.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/23/2003 09:05:37
Ian Zagorskih <ianzag@megasignal.com> wrote:
> On Friday 22 August 2003 11:05, Frank Luedke wrote:
>>   I have an 32 MB USB stick and a problem with it. NetBSD
>> seems to detect it without any problems but does not load
>> scsi on the running system, so I cannot mount the device.
>> Is there any way to do this by hand ?
>>
>> -- < dmesg output > --
>>
>> umass0 at uhub0 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0
>> umass0: EasyDisk product 0x0003, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2
>> umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
>>
>> -- < /dmesg output > --
>>

> This means that your USB device requires OS dependant drivers. Is
> there some label on box kind of "No drivers required" ? I saw both
> USB MSD (Mass Storage Device) compatible USB Flash Disks which do not
> require any drivers and work fine with all MSD aware OSes and several
> disks which works only with Windows & K when you install vendor's
> drivers.

Not necessarily.  -current has an issue which prevents USB storage devices
from working if they are inserted after boot.  Sometimes.  Try having the
stick inserted on boot, and then see if it's detected.  If it is, you should
be able to insert/remove it just fine (until the next reboot w/o the stick
inserted).

This is a major annoyance, but I haven't had the cycles to go figure out
when -current started behaving this way.  I *think* Steven Bellovin (?)
filed a PR on this, but I can't seem to find it offhand.

    ScottE