Subject: Re: anyone with a 3d graphics card? need testers
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk@voicenet.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/23/2003 11:31:19
>> Hello
>>
>> I recently added a package to pkgsrc-wip.sf.net
>>
>> It's called "armagetron" and is a 3D lightcycle game.
>>
>> Anyway, I don't have a 3D card and the game runs slow as anything, so
>> can someone else try it and tell me if it still runs terribly or is
>> playable?
>>
>> The pkgsrc-wip website has info on how to get source, althought you
>> could  just get the make file and patches from cvsweb
>>

> As NetBSD misses DRI which means that there's no 3D accelleration at
> all, it doesn't matter what kind of card you have, they will all be
> slow.

Actually, thanks to Erik Reid, DRI is quite close to running stably on
NetBSD.  In fact, with his patches to xsrc I was, at one time, able to get
3D acceleration on my Radeon 8500.

Unfortunately, changes made to -CURRENT since then cause problems when
trying to compile the r200_dri.so XFree86 library, breaking the DRI.  In
addition, I've since started using a MP kernel and the radeon kernel
module is *not* MP safe.

Adam