Subject: Multicast routing
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: J. Buck Caldwell <buckaroo@liveround.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/19/2003 10:42:45
I have a large wide area network currently consisting mostly of frame
relay links over Cisco equipment. We're slowly replacing each frame link
with a VPN, using NetBSD 1.6.1 as routers. I've got GIF tunnels between
each link, using IPSec transport encryption. Do I need to set up mrouted
tunnels to route multicast packets across this network, or will the gif
tunnels automatically pass multicast info?

Let's take a step backwards - assume that I know next to nothing about
multicast (almost true), but I need multicast routing due to Novell &
others (regrettably true). How would I set it up, given a NetBSD-based
router at each location, ex0 (public), ex1 (private, NATed), and gifX
(VPNs to various branches) interfaces? Obviously, I don't need to worry
about ex0, since it's the public address, and I only want multicast
packets forwarded over my private network.

Any pointers would be helpful.