Subject: Re: anyone with a 3d graphics card? need testers
To: poff <poff@sixbit.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/17/2003 10:22:31
On Sun, 17 Aug 2003, poff wrote:

> > > I recently added a package to pkgsrc-wip.sf.net
> > >
> > > It's called "armagetron" and is a 3D lightcycle game.
> >
> > As NetBSD misses DRI which means that there's no 3D accelleration at all,
> > it doesn't matter what kind of card you have, they will all be slow.
>
> Oh. Thanks for enlightening me.
>
> Is that a "thing-in-the-works" or will it never exist?

Someone reported he was close to having the MGA support working on
NetBSD. You might search the tech-x11 archives for details.

> Isn't this an XFree issue?

"Yes" and "No". As designed, DRI requires kernel support for each card
(or driver). The code and infrastructure to build LKM's for several
cards on FreeBSD is already in the XFree86 tree, but they depend on
kernel internals and so aren't trivially portable to NetBSD. The
cutting edge is the "dri" project on SourceForge. Any code committed
to that project eventually makes its way int XFree86, then NetBSD. I
haven't checked there lately, but that would be the place to check the
status, or nag.

Frederick