Subject: Re: PPPoE and DSL modem desynchronization
To: R. Braun <syn@sceen.net>
From: Quentin Garnier <netbsd@quatriemek.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/15/2003 22:28:15
Le Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:10:42 +0200
R. Braun a ecrit :
> I noticed something strange today : my DLS modem was desynchronized. I
> waited a few minutes but the link was still down, although the pppoe0

Heck, I'd had like to see what was happening at the PPP level. I guess it
may not have been down there.

> interface was well configured. Thus I put the interface down and up, and
> everything went back normal. The problem is that there should be no
> manual operation for this to happen... If i'm not able to access the
> router, it'll be down for a long time, and I can't let this happen... Is
> there a reliable and clean solution for this ?

We already know that some BAS in France fiddle with the PPP protocol,
intercepting some packets and letting others go, and notably the newer
ones simply drop LQR packets.

What *could* have happened is that the BAS was still responding to LCP
Echos, while the L2TP tunnel had changed. That would suck beyond
imagination, and the only way to solve this is a keep-alive at the IP
level, e.g. a ping from a cron script.

I really think this is a highly exceptional issue.

Anyway, tech-net is not the really the right place for that question.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube@cubidou.net
"Feels like I'm fiddling while Rome is burning down.