Subject: Re: Off Topic: Network Switchesy
To: Mike Parson <mparson@bl.org>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/12/2003 16:58:41
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Mike Parson wrote:

> > They want each room to be servce via DHCP, but also want them to each have
> > a dedicated IP for tracking/billing purposes.  So the question is, can
> > this be done (a DHCP reserved IP for each switch port) with an "off the
> > self" managed switch?
>
> If it's a managed switch, then you should get all kinds of flexibility.
>
> Default to leave the ports off, if they want access, call the desk,
> desk turns it on, adds a charge to the room.  Part of the check-out
> procedure is to turn the port back off.
>
> Or.
>
> SNMP.  Use something like MRTG/RRD to watch the switch, you see
> traffic, they get billed.

	I've seen hotels have some form of transparent proxy that
	redirects all traffic to a web server which provides the
	'hotel information' plus an option to enable full access
	for the following 24 hours. Of course that only makes sense
	if you want to give them the 'intranet' for free :)

--
		David/absolute          -- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --