Subject: x11, xdm and wscons
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <dlagno@mail.nnov.ru>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/12/2003 16:44:00
I am running NetBSD 1.6.1 with XFree86 4.3.0 built from original
XFree86.org sources.
My videocard is S3 Trio3D/2X.

My first question is about strange difference in behaviour of swithing
between text and graphic wscons virtual screens.
When I build kernel with options WSDISPLAY_DEFAULTSCREENS=1 and add
additional screens at rc bootup phase then I do not encounter any
problems with switching text and graphical screens.
But if I build kernel with options WSDISPLAY_DEFAULTSCREENS=8 and do not
add additional screens at rc bootup phase then when I switch from text to
graphics I encounter arbitrary regular mouse jerk.  Also I run xdm on
multiple wscons screens and in the latter case first attempt to switch to
other xdm managed screens may fail (but second attempt usually succeed).

My second question -- recently xdm at startup began to issue strange
warning "xdm error (pid xxx): setting process group for daemon failed: No
such process".  Besides this warning xdm runs smoothly.  This message
appears or not randomly.  What does it stand for?